Tuesday, June 28, 2011

How Much Gear Do We Really Need?

I have recently been only taking my main camera body with the standard kit lens (18-55mm) when going out to shoot and I have been enjoying the process much more. I recently read a blog post by a photographer that is pairing down the gear he carries. I couldn't believe all the cameras, lenses and gadgets that he listed! Even when it was cut back to the "essentials" it was still massive.
 
I do a lot of traveling and carrying around a huge backpack is getting less appealing. I found that all I really need is a few cards and an extra battery. I was thinking about it recently and all the gadgets really just get in the way. These add-ons are not only pricey but I then gotta learn how to use it. I don't want to spend the time to learn to use something I may not even want to keep. Hell, I have never taken any formal photography classes. I am an artist and the only way I learn is to do it.

How was it done before all the news "necessary gadgets"?

I just think that all these things turn into distractions and keep me away from really enjoying shooting. I have found that this makes it feel more like a job and I don't ever want to get to that point.

Well, I hope this post makes sense. I guess my point here is that you don't always need the latest and greatest gear. By trying to keep up with it all can drive one insane and only slow us down.


Luis

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails